All event planning and daily operations at Fairfax Station are the result of the commitment of our hardworking volunteers. The Friends of Fairfax Station is always looking for more dedicated individuals to help share the workload and increase the scope of the museum’s events and activities.
If you are interested in volunteering, there are many opportunities available, including but not limited to the following:
- Docents – Give tours to the public or work in the gift shop Sundays (1:00-4:00pm). Call Michael Chinworth at 703-945-7483 or Pete Conklin at 703-644-2495.
- Displays – Use your creative skills to arrange appealing and educational displays with museum artifacts.
- Gift Shop – Help take inventory, create merchandise displays, assist with purchasing management, sales, etc.
- Special Events – Work in various capacities during special events such as the Holiday Train Show. Call Jeff Mitulla at 703-362-7791 for more information.
- Grounds & Building – Help keep the station looking its best; duties include outside weeding and pruning, changing light bulbs, small maintenance projects, antique clock preservation, road sign calendar updates, etc.
- Computer Assistance – Maintain membership lists, address labels, assist in newsletter publication, etc.
- Publicity – Distribute flyers and ads for special events.
- Fundraising – Conceive and implement new ideas to increase scope and revenue of the museum’s initiatives.
- Model Trains – Plan and install a permanent train display at the museum. Call Jeff Mitulla at 703-362-7791 for more information.
For any of the above jobs without an individual contact, or for other opportunities you may not see listed and would like to suggest, please call us at 703-425-9225.